Saturday, November 7, 2009

Baby Cakes


Here is one of my baby cakes that I have made for a friend. They are a novel way of presenting baby gifts and are a beautiful centre piece at the baby shower. They can be themed pink or blue if your friend knows the gender of the baby or, if not, a lemon theme ie a ducky theme can be used. It is great fun collecting the gifts to go in the cakes.The cake consists of 3 layers on a cake board. I use a baby towel for the bottom layer and pack this layer with newborn disposable nappies. For the second layer I use a baby blanket filled with gifts such as baby romper, singlets, bibs, booties and newborn mittens, a brush and comb, teething ring, rattle, dummy, my first toothbrush and milk teeth toothpaste. For the top layer of the cake I put in baby soap, baby shampoo, baby powder, baby lotion, lavender oil (these are all small size bottles). I like to use organic ranges like Gia baby products and Eco store available from Woolies. They come in beautiful scents such as lavender, wheatgerm and chamomile and the soap is made from goats milk. All the products are organic with no nasty chemicals, dyes, or perfumes for our precious little ones.

To decorate the baby cake I used themed coloured ribbons and silk flowers. I also use baby socks and singlets and roll them up to make fabric roses along the edges of the cake. On the top of the cake I put a pretty pair of baby girls shoes. For the boys a nice little pair of baby boy shoes. You can get these from Big W. If you don't know what your friend is having theme it yellow, lemon and white and I place 3 bath ducks on top also from Big W. To cut costs a couple of friends can put in together and go shopping for the goods. I also buy things when shops have sales and put them away (i.e Kmart, Target and Big W).I also ask the mum for the silver cake tray back when she unpacks the cake at a later time as it is no longer needed. The new "Mums-to be" comment on what fun the family had sitting around undoing the layers to find all the lovely baby surprises. I hope you have as much fun making them as I do.
Love Joey
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails